Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Shaking Our World Project

                                          Lithosphere

Activities: In this layer, I've created a Model, watched Brainpop videos and Music Videos.

Topics:  Faults, Tsunami, Mountains, Layers of Earth, Plate Boundary.

Summary of Faults: There are three types of Faults in this Earth. They are called Normal Fault, Reverse Fault and Strike/Slip Fault. In normal Fault, one of the two plates (the left plate) goes under another plate because it's more dense/heavy. In reverse fault, one of the two plates (the right plate) goes under the other plate. In strike/Slip fault, both of the plates slide past each other.

                                      Asthenosphere


Activities: In this layer I've done Song/Rap and Demonstration Lab.             

Topics: Volcano and Convection current.

Summary of Convection Current: Convection Current is the change in temperature inside the mantle. Convection current is what makes the plates of Earth move. When the temperature in the mantle is high, the heat goes up and when the temperature is low, the heat goes down. It's like a cycle which helps the plate move over time.

                                            Mantle

Activity: I've made a music video in this layer.

Topic: Volcano.

Summary of the music video/Volcano: There are three types of volcanoes called Shield, Composite and Cinder Cone Volcano. The lava of those volcanoes is actually the magma that rises from inside the Earth. Generally Volcanoes are created in convergent boundary and in hot spots. Hot Spot is a place where magma rises from the asthenosphere of Earth and creates Volcano. Hot Spots can rise anywhere and create a Volcano that would eventually turn into an island when it dies. Hawaii was created by Hot Spot and would eventually turn into a dead volcano.            


                                    Critical Thinking Question

Do you agree with the theory of plate tectonics? Why or why not?

The theory of plate tectonics explains that the Plates of Earth move and interact with each other in the boundaries. This theory of plate tectonics support the theory of Pangaea theory, which is that all the continents/landmass of Earth was once together and over time they spread out as the continents that we see today and spreading. Since I was born in the modern days of science and I don't think Superstition does exist, I believe in the Theory of the Plate Tectonics.

The reason that I believe in the theory of plate tectonics is that there is so many evidence that makes you believe nothing else but the theory of plate tectonics. First of all, there is the evidence of same fossils found in different continents. According to that evidence scientists proved that once there were the same animals that lived in Pangaea. But for the system of Plate Tectonics they spread apart from each other. Another evidence of the existence of Plate Tectonic is that the rock layers inside the continents are same. That evidence definitely proves the theory of Plate Tectonics and the idea that once all the continents that we see today was together as a huge continent called the Pangaea. So, those are the main reasons that make me believe that the theory of Plate Tectonics exists.

                                               Reflection 

1. What did you enjoy most about this project and why?

I've enjoyed making the model of Faults. The reason is that, in order to create that model I had to think real creatively, I had to use my imagination to see predict the final product before even starting the process  and come up with the materials and an idea to build it. I've enjoyed the entire process.

2. What was the most challenging for you during this project and why?

The most challenging part for me was to rap in the song that I and my group created. The reason is that I honestly not a singer/rapper at all. I like a person who likes to sing/rap but I don't really sing at all. Rapping was the most difficult part for me in this entire project.

3. What new skills did you learn from doing this project?

I guess I've learned a very important lesson, rather than any new skills. The lesson is that, Mac and its awesome IMovie cannot be trusted. The reason is that, my music video was completely erased from IMovie even though it was the final product. During that time, I and my group-mates had no other options but to redo the entire movie again! If the movie is not in this blog post, than it's not probably not completed yet.

4. Is there anything that you could have done to improve any of your work? Explain.

I could paint my model a little creatively. I think the painting in my model is not that great           









1 comment:

  1. Nice and thoughtful response to the Critical Thinking question.

    ReplyDelete